Federal Steam Specialties Company opened its doors on April 23, 1918. As the name implies, the company focused on selling steam specialties and boiler room equipment, primarily to mechanical contractors. Led by founder Louis Loeffler Sr., the company had three other employees during its first years: W.E. Price, Louis’s brother Frank X. Loeffler, and a secretary.
By 1921, business was booming from a large amount of new construction in the young state. The company purchased its own property at 120 E. Main and constructed a one-story office and warehouse building. In 1931, the company bought the adjacent 100 feet of frontage property and added the present two-story building. It kept the old building as warehouse space, and built a pipe storage yard next to the new building. Reflecting the added inventory in the expanded warehouse, the company changed its name to Federal Supply Company in January 1935.
Also in January 1935, after finishing a mechanical engineering degree from the University of Oklahoma, Louis Loeffler, Jr. started at Federal. Brother Norman Loeffler joined him in June 1937, after completing an accounting degree at the University of Texas.
Louis Loeffler, Sr. passed away in September 1941, at age 56. At the time of his death, the company had 17 employees, and the brothers were not ready to run the business themselves. As a result, J. C. Fullerton ran the company until February 1945, when Louis Loeffler Jr. assumed the presidency. Norman Loeffler managed finance and accounting aspects for decades. On January 1, 1954, the name of the company was changed to Federal Corporation, expressing the fact that the company was a factory representative in addition to being a stocking distributor.
Alan Loeffler, the third generation of Loefflers to work at Federal, began working for the company in 1977 and became President in February 1988. Alan’s wife Deborah has been active in the company for over a decade. Louis Loeffler, Jr. continued as chairman of the board until he retired in August, 2002. Daniel Loeffler, the fourth generation, began at Federal in April 2008
Throughout its history, Federal has made a point of serving its customers with leading-edge technological solutions. Our product offering has also grown and become more technologically sophisticated in order to meet our customers’ expanding needs. Our web site, federalcorp.com, launched in 1997, shortly after Federal published its first comprehensive bound catalog. Federal has also expanded locations: the company opened a branch office in Tulsa in the early 1980s, and in 1997 opened an office, showroom, and stocking warehouse in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, to better serve our Tulsa-area customers.
Many things have changed over the last 90+ years, but the basics of serving customers have not. Countless dedicated professionals have labored over the years to build the company into what it is today. Today, no less than before, the whole Federal family of nearly 40 employees still stresses technical excellence and quality service to meet our customers’ needs. On behalf of all of us, thanks to you, our customer, for these first 90 years! We look forward to serving you for many more.